We all know there are so a lot of different coaching techniques, education packages, and coaching personalities. Several gymnastics coaches efficiently get their gymnasts more powerful, but they do not automatically incorporate enough sport particular coaching into their plans. I have noticed gymnasts gain from the general energy exercise routines this kind of as drive ups, but when it will come time to carry out certain skills the gymnast’s muscles are not often geared up, accustomed to the sequence of movements for the abilities, or powerful sufficient in each and every place needed to properly comprehensive the ability.
Gymnasts actually require a selection of education to consist of sport distinct instruction in addition to basic energy conditioning in get to much more carefully simulate the expertise in our sport. For instance, several straight arm exercise routines this kind of as the entrance lateral raise, push handstand, or planche drills far more closely simulate gymnastics capabilities than bent arm workout routines this kind of as the drive up, bench push, or reverse dips.
Listed here is one straight arm exercise that has aided several gymnasts bolster their chest, shoulders, and again muscle tissue, getting to be more robust in two quite important motions. Since the gymnast often should be ready to open up and close the shoulder angle in the course of capabilities on uneven bars, I have provided a extremely beneficial exercising which incorporates both up and down actions. This one particular must support her discover to proficiently changeover from a single arm movement to the up coming with simplicity. Photo your gymnast carrying out a glide kip, cast handstand, clear hip handstand. She will have to reverse shoulder actions many instances in this limited period of time. When you see the shoulder movements needed to connect these expertise you will see the factors I experienced for incorporating two exercises into a single drill far more than a ten years back. This exercise actually alternates the motions of opening and then closing the shoulder angle.
Lie Down Solid/Kip Drill (Barbell / Firming Bar)
one. Spot your gymnast throughout this workout. Give her full instructions ahead of she begins the physical exercise.
2. Setting Up: Have your gymnast lie on her back again among two folded panel mats with her arms previously mentioned her head. Her head need to continue being amongst the mats, but her hands and wrists must go beyond the mats in get to allow the bar to almost touch the flooring after it is lifted over head for complete assortment of movement.
3. The folded mats must be a handful of inches higher than your gymnast whilst she is lying amongst them for protection motives. The bar need to be lengthy enough so that each and every finish can rest on the centre of one of the mats. The bar will be lifted from and returned to the mats without touching your gymnast. There should be sufficient clearance for your gymnast to slide in or out even though the bar rests on the mats. Despite the fact that you will be recognizing your gymnast, the mats will also assist stop the bar from touching her. If 1 mat on each aspect is not substantial enough, make sure you use two folded mats on every side. If the bar is brought down as well quickly or falls, it ought to land on the mats, not your gymnast. This is a really secure workout when the coach and gymnast maintain basic safety in brain.
four. As soon as the mats are set up, area the bar on the mats and make sure it will not drop amongst the mats or roll off.
five. Starting up Situation: Once the mats and bar are in location, instruct your gymnast to sit among the mats, slide her legs beneath the bar, and then lie down. She should placement herself so that the bar is previously mentioned her hips.
6. As soon as positioned, permit your gymnast to grasp the bar and then straighten her arms. Instruct your gymnast to hold her arms straight, but not to lock them.
7. Be mindful the bar does not shift to an unsafe beginning situation.
eight. Following, instruct her to elevate the bar up toward ceiling and then towards the ground earlier mentioned her head to simulate a forged to handstand movement with her upper body.
9. Remind your gymnast to keep on to keep the bar securely and then allow her to carry the bar off the ground, towards ceiling yet again, and then reduced it to the mat earlier mentioned her hips to simulate a kip with her upper physique.
10. Let your gymnast to proceed with a number of repetitions if she is ready. Advise her that it need to be a continuous motion when she is comfortable.
11. Your gymnast will most likely need far more location lifting the bar from the mat (the initiation period) which entails the shoulders (deltoids) than she will on the return section which entails the again (latissimus) muscle tissues. Be well prepared to spot all phases of this workout. floor routine music can have one particular coach place each part. To spot the carry from the mat, kneel on one of the mats to assist your gymnast lift off the mat. Kneel in close proximity to her head to place the carry from the ground. Make sure you can attain the bar, specially when it is previously mentioned your gymnast’s physique.
twelve. Start with the lightest bar possible, possibly even a broomstick to make sure appropriate security and form. As soon as accustomed to this exercising, your gymnast can use weights on a barbell or a firming bar, but it should always count on her toughness and expertise. If you are making use of a bar with no weights, you can wrap a thick towel about every finish to assist prevent your gymnast’s knuckles from touching the flooring.
The next physical exercise is a lot more clear. This 1 also will help the gymnast with particular gymnastics capabilities due to the fact she will be in and out of a handstand. The Planche – Virtual Handstand – Planche Drill is a fantastic exercise for body tightness, manage, higher entire body toughness, and core toughness. This drill is an proper workout for gymnasts on so several levels, including individuals expected to perform the cast handstand and obvious hip handstand on bars in the around long term.
one. Instruct your gymnast to stand with her back to a recognizing block or mat stack, place her hands on the floor, and then spot one particular foot/ankle on the block. Once your gymnast has one particular foot/ankle on the block, she can then location her other foot/ankle up on the block.
two. Now your gymnast must be in an elevated press up placement with her feet on the block. Your gymnast’s legs, hips, and chest should continue being off the flooring all through this workout.
3. Now that your gymnast is in the elevated push up placement, instruct her to go her palms closer to the recognizing block and her shoulders forward in order to sort a slight planche placement.
4. After your gymnast is in the planche position with her feet on the block, instruct her to squeeze her buttocks and then to pull her tummy button in. You need to see the reduced part of your gymnast’s again elongate into the appropriate minimal again place for a handstand (pelvic tilt).
5. After your gymnast has shaped the correct shape with her reduced entire body, instruct her to thrust down on the flooring and pull in her upper body simultaneously. The portion of your gymnast’s again among her shoulder blades must increase towards the ceiling. Your gymnast has just carried out a protraction / shoulder shrug in the planche push up place. To support educate the shoulder shrug contact the portion of your gymnast’s again that is in between her shoulder blades and inquire her to drive up on your hand to kind the rounded again.
six. Instruct your gymnast to keep that restricted shape during the relaxation of the exercising.
seven. To commence the workout, instruct your gymnast to carry one of her legs up towards the ceiling, but to preserve her other foot/ankle on the block. Your gymnast’s physique, with the exception of the foot/ankle still supported on the block must have moved as one unit up to the one leg, or virtual, handstand. The leg that is pointed towards the ceiling should be the one forming the handstand form alongside with the higher physique.
eight. Your gymnast’s shoulders, hips, and one ankle should be immediately over her arms whilst the other leg continues to be supported on the block. Inform your gymnast that her hips and shoulders should continue being square with the block. Her buttocks must be below, stomach in, hip opened, chest in, and shoulders in a shrug/stretched place. Remaining square and limited is not constantly easy for the gymnast.
nine. Once your gymnast is in the right single leg, or virtual, handstand placement she can get started the return movement by gradually lowering her cost-free leg again to the block and shifting her shoulders somewhat ahead so she returns to the planche push up place. Your gymnast’s human body need to shift as a single device to the commencing place. Instruct your gymnast to keep her head in line with her backbone, neither tucked in nor tilted back again.
10. Up coming, instruct your gymnast to return to the one leg, or virtual, handstand placement by lifting her free of charge leg back up over her hips so that she is vertical, with the exception of her supported leg. She have to also open her armpits back again up, and sq. her shoulders and hips with the block. Your gymnast need to bring her shoulders and head into alignment for the right handstand condition once more. Instruct your gymnast to seem at the ground just over her hands for the planche and then at the block for the handstand.
11. Once your gymnast understands the movement of the virtual handstand to planche and again to the handstand, question her to comprehensive a few repetitions ahead of halting if she is able.
twelve. Notify your gymnast not to planche way too much ahead until she builds toughness and turns into quite comfy so she does not collapse.
thirteen. You should also advise your gymnast to communicate when she is fatigued so that you can allow her to rest. This physical exercise puts tremendous pressure on your gymnast’s wrists. You must permit her to rest when she communicates that her wrists are acquiring tired.
This physical exercise, when done properly, intently simulates the shoulder motions of the solid handstand and distinct hip handstand on uneven bars. You can use a flooring bar as long as the floor bar is secure.
The consistent modify in shoulder angle triggers a adjust in the desire on your gymnast’s upper body muscles. Your gymnast need to produce strength in a wide selection of positions after carrying out this drill usually and persistently above the training course of time.
As you can see, these workout routines are so much diverse from press ups simply because of the straight arm coaching which so intently simulates gymnastics expertise. Your gymnast’s complete higher entire body will be challenged with this physical exercise. If carried out often and consistently this drill need to help enormously with general higher entire body power in addition to specific gymnastics expertise.
Although the drive up and bench push are fantastic exercise routines, they do not actually simulate the gymnastics skills of woman gymnasts. Gymnastics capabilities must be simulated in a safe way in buy to teach a gymnast’s head and body to carry out gymnastics abilities securely and efficiently.